Tart apples stuffed in between creamy slices of gouda cheese make this apple stuffed grilled cheese kid friendly, and upscale for a fancy lunch time for adults, too.
Switch up your classic grilled cheese and add sweet crunch! I love this easy to make apple stuffed grilled cheese. Creamy gouda and the sweet bite of Granny Smith apples are perfect for this.
This grilled cheese sandwich is not the sandwich of your childhood, but that’s okay. It’s even better. It would even be perfect for dipping into a bowl of hot tomato soup on a cool fall day.
Ingredients you need:
- Granny Smith apples
- Gouda cheese slices
Making your apple grilled cheese:
- Heat skillet on medium heat and butter slices of bread on one side.
- Slice apples thinly.
- Place piece of bread butter side down, layer cheese and apples on top. Add a second slice of bread on top of last cheese layer, butter side up.
- Grill on one side, flip the sandwiches, and grill on other side until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Tips for making your cooked sandwich:
- Slice your apple slices as thin as you can to avoid huge chunks in your sandwich.
- Swap out sharp cheddar cheese or mild cheddar cheese for a new flavor.
- Don’t like Granny Smith apples? Try using Red Delicious or Golden Delicious.
What to serve with this:
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Rosemary Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Cauliflower Dressing
- Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
- Rosemary Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots
- 6 slices bread
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 6 slices Gouda cheese
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat
- Core, and slice the apples from top to bottom, in thin slices.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place in pan, buttered side down.
- Layer a slice of cheese, apple slices, then another slice of cheese. Top with remaining slice of bread, with the butter side facing up.
- Fry in the pan 4-5 minutes, then carefully flip and fry on other side 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving Calories 634Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 126mgSodium 952mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 5gSugar 15gProtein 20g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!