Enjoy a sweet treat of blueberry, cream cheese and almonds in a light and flaky breakfast pastry.
As an affiliate of Azure standard, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
Warm and sweet, with a delicious creamy layer, this breakfast braid is a family hit. Growing up with a Swedish mother, we had a lot of Swedish braided breads for breakfast. This brings back so many memories of her, and I am excited to share it with you.
To be honest, blueberry breakfast pastries are not a health food. Not in any way, shape or form. However, I love blueberries and their many uses. This is a great treat to use some fresh blueberries and enjoy them in their fullest.
Can I use crescent roll dough for this?
I like to make my own dough when I can, but if you really want to, you can substitute the homemade pastry dough for crescent roll dough. It will make a delicious recipe either way. (and I won’t judge at all, promise!)
I have also seen breakfast braids made with puff pastry sheets, but I have not tried them myself. If you make it with puff pastry, please let me know how well it works!
Ingredients you need for the dough
Ingredients you need for the cream cheese filling
Ingredients you need for the blueberry filling
Ingredients you need to top the braid
Ingredients you need for the glaze
Making your blueberry almond breakfast braid
- Preheat oven.
- Mix sugar, water and yeast in a medium bowl. Allow yeast to proof.
- Combine flour, melted butter, salt, and baking powder. Stir to combine, then turn out and knead into a smooth ball.
- Place in oiled bowl to rest.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper into a large rectangle, then make diagonal strips on each side.
- Mix the cream cheese, butter, and sugar together. Spread over dough in center, staying away from ends.
- Combine flour, blueberries, sugar, almond extract, and almonds. Spread on cream cheese layer.
- Braid bread by placing opposite strips in the center, over each other. Pinch ends together. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake in oven, then allow to cool slightly.
- Mix powdered sugar with cream together, and drizzle over slightly cooled braid.
Some tips to making this breakfast braid
- Save yourself some heartache and roll this out on parchment paper. Trust me on this. It’ll be much easier to transfer to a baking sheet.
- You can use an electric mixer to knead the dough if you would like. Knead for 3-4 minutes on medium speed.
- Swap out the almond extract for lemon juice and lemon zest for a new, exciting flavor.
Can I freeze this?
With the cream cheese layer, this doesn’t freeze as well as I would have liked. It CAN be frozen and thawed, but the creamy layer has a slightly different texture to me.
If you want to freeze it, I would suggest that you cut the slices, wrap them in an airtight bag or foil and only freeze for up to 2 months. Let me know if you have a different experience with yours!
What to serve with this blueberry almond breakfast braid
- Easy Crustless Quiche
- Easy Whipped Coffee
- Easy Dairy Free Homemade Almond Milk
for the dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
for the blueberry filling
- 1 ½ cups of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
for the cream filling
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
For Topping the braid
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
for the glaze
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream
Making the dough
- 1. Pour the warm water into a large bowl, mix in the sugar and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water/sugar mixture. Leave to sit for 10 minutes (this allows the yeast to proof).
- 2. Once the yeast has proofed, mix in the remaining ingredients until you have a shaggy dough.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, in a warm spot, to rise for 30 minutes.
Making the blueberry filling
- 1.In a medium-size bowl gently toss blueberries with sugar, flour, almond extract and sliced almonds. Set aside.
Making the cream cheese filling
- 1.In a separate bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter sugar, and flour and set aside.
Putting your braid together
- Roll out the dough on a sheet of parchment paper to approximately 12"x18" rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, make 1 inch cuts in each side of the dough, at a diagonal. Repeat on the other side with the opposite diagonal.
- On the middle third of the dough, spread the cream cheese mixture. Pour blueberries on top of the mixture.
- Gently fold each piece over the top of the blueberries.
- Gently fold over each end.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg. Brush the beaten egg over the top of the braid. Sprinkle an additional 1 teaspoon sugar on top, if desired.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 20 minutes.
- While the braid is resting, make the glaze: add powdered sugar to a bowl, and mix in heavy cream and stir well. Drizzle over the top of the braid, slice and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
American Bakeware Large Baking Sheet - Non Stick Ceramic Stoneware - Heat Resistant to 400 °F - No Metal, Lead, or other Harmful Materials - Safe for Ovens, Microwaves, Dishwasher, Made in the USA
Beyond Gourmet 42 Unbleached Non-Stick Parchment Paper, Made in Sweden, 71-Square-Feet
Watkins Pure Almond Extract, 2 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
Trader Joe's Baking Powder Aluminum Free & Double Acting 8.1 Oz (Pack of 2)
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Hodgson Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour, Unbleached, 2 LB (Pack of 6). Unbromated & Unenriched Naturally White Wheat Flour (Packaging May Vary)
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO, 10 LB, single unit
Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 16 oz (454 g) - 2pcs
Saf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound Pouch
Nutrition InformationYield 12 slices Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 39mgSodium 286mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 18gProtein 5g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!