A delicious combination of meatballs, sauce, and vegetables in a flaky pie crust. Meatball pie is sure to be a family favorite.
A classic savory pie would be chicken pot pie. It’s a pie crust, filled with creamy chicken, vegetables and baked until golden brown. But, how do we change it up so it’s not boring night after night? Well, let’s take the classic shepherd’s pie with mashed potatoes, add meatballs and stuff into that pie crust.
I give you the new classic, the meatball pie.
Why You’ll Love This Meatball Pie
- It’s food storage friendly. If you are looking for a way to use your dry food storage in a fun, delicious way, this is a great meal. You can use ingredients with a longer shelf life to help stretch your food budget.
- This meal is freezable. Meat pies are a great way to stretch your budget while filling your family’s belly. You can make several of these savory pies at a time and freeze them for later.
Ingredients you need:
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Beef Bouillon
- Peas and carrots
- Pie crusts
How to Make Meatball Pie
- Preheat oven and prepare pie crust on the pie plate.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and beef bouillon base.
- Prepare the cornstarch mixture and tomato juice as directed.
- Mix everything together.
- Bake pie, then rest 15 minutes before cutting.
Change Up This Meatball Pie
If you don’t have the time to make a pie crust, you can also use puff pastry dough. Simply wrap the ingredients in the puff pastry and allow to bake. This makes great hand pies as well.
You can also swap out some of the veggies to use what you have on hand. I normally use frozen for this, but you can use canned veggies, dried veggies, or even garden fresh veggies. If you like potatoes in your meal, simply add a few of those, too. Sweet potato chunks are delicious in this.
What Can I Serve With This Recipe?
- Homemade Artisan Bread
- Southern Cornbread
- Easy Dinner Rolls
Can I use different meat?
You don’t have to use meatballs, you can use whatever kind of meat you like. This is a great way to use up chicken, steak or ground beef. The next time you’re looking for a recipe to help you use up leftovers, give this pie recipe a try. It can be the perfect food storage item!
Other Dinner Recipes to Try
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen meatballs or homemade meatballs, frozen
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, juice separated but reserved
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon base
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a deep dish pie plate with
nonstick cooking spray.
- Place one pie crust into the bottom of the pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic powder, Italian
seasoning, and beef bouillon base.
- In a small bowl, stir together to cornstarch with the tomato juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the meatballs, tomato mixture, peas and
carrots, and cornstarch slurry. Stir to combine. Transfer the
mixture to the pie crust.
- Cover the pie with the remaining pie crust, pressing to seal the
edges. Cut small holes in the top to vent.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the crust is golden. Allow the pie
to rest for 10 minutes prior to cutting.