Mashed potatoes are a great addition to any dinner. Gouda Mashed Potatoes are a budget-friendly meal made with russet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, and smoked Gouda. All the right ingredients to make an unforgettable side dish recipe!
This smoky and cheesy version of mashed potatoes will be the hit of any meal you add it to. Make it for a quick and easy weekday meal or add it to a delicious pot roast on the weekend. This mashed potato combination will not disappoint.
Why You Should Make Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed potatoes are a great side for ANY meal!
- Smoked Gouda is a wonderful way to liven up this dish without a lot of extra effort. Now, instead of boring, tasteless mashed potatoes, they are cheesy, creamy, and will add excitement to any dinner plans.
- This dish is cost effective, and can be a useful part of your overall long term storage plan. You can use instant mashed potatoes butter powder, milk powder, and dehydrated cheese if you want to make these from a storage meal.
Ingredients you need:
- Russet potatoes – You’ll want these peeled and cubed, any type of potato will work, use what you have on hand. I used medium sized for this recipe.
- Butter, sliced – Alternative butter options are available, so use what you’d like!
- Heavy cream – The heavy cream will make this dish nice and creamy, lower fat milks can be used, but you won’t get the same creaminess that heavy cream provides.
- Smoked Gouda, shredded – Keep in mind that smoked Gouda is important, regular Gouda will not give the same depth of flavor as smoked Gouda.
Making Your Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes
- Prepare your medium sized potatoes.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Return the potatoes to the pot.
- Go ahead and add the remaining ingredients.
- Beat or mash until creamy.
Can I make this easy side dish dairy free?
This mashed potato dish is heavy on the dairy products. There are certainly other alternatives for the butter and heavy cream.
- Replace the butter. The butter can be replaced with good Vegan butter. The heavy cream can be replaced with coconut cream. The coconut flavor is not strong enough to make it taste like coconut, but the cream will make it nice and creamy.
- Try a vegan option – The smoked Gouda is more difficult to replace with an exact alternative but you can use a Vegan shredded cheese or nutritional yeast. Those two options will give you the cheese flavor that you would be looking for but still be dairy-free.
- Instant Mashed Potatoes- you can use instant mashed potatoes in this recipe instead of Russets to make it an even quicker side dish. Simply prepare the flakes with the water required and add the cream, butter, and cheese.
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese – This amazingly flavorful dish would also do really well with smoked cheddar cheese instead of smoked Gouda. In fact, you can try any number of cheeses and you will get a different flavor profile that will keep these mashed potatoes exciting.
- Sweet potatoes– Switch out the Russet potatoes for sweet potatoes for another exciting twist!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- 3 to 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, sliced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- Place potatoes into a stock pot and cover with water. Add salt if
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes
or until tender. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot and add the remaining ingredients.
Beat or mash until creamy.