So easy to make, and the perfect appetizer or light dinner, you’ll love this Margherita flatbread pizza.
Pizza night is a commonly family favorite. We can vary the pizza toppings from simple like cheese and turkey pepperoni, to the more elegant with grilled chicken and vegetables. And don’t forget the dessert pizza…totally yummy, right?
This margherita pizza recipe is so easy to make. It’s flat bread, topped with simple ingredients such as ripe tomatoes, fragrant basil, fresh mozzarella and extra virgin olive oil.
Why is it called Pizza Margherita?
Pizza Margarita is a version of Napolitana pizza, and it is the world’s most widely known and popular Italian pizza. The pizza is made from a flat yeast dough topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.
While in the Naples area, the Queen of Italy, ordered pizzas from a popular pizza baker, Rafael Esposito. He prepared one in her honor was with tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil – to symbolize the colors of the Italian flag (red, white and green). She enjoyed the pizza very much, obviously, and in 1906 it was named after her.
Ingredients you need:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced
Making your margherita flatbread pizza:
- Preheat oven.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, oil, and water together. Stir to form a shaggy dough ball.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead into a ball. Allow to rest.
- Dice tomatoes, and julienne 1/4 of the basil. Set basil aside.
- Roll out flatbread dough into a rectangle, and pierce with a fork. Bake in oven.
- Brush oil on top of parbaked dough.
- Add diced tomatoes on top of warm flatbread. Layer with whole basil leaves and sliced mozzarella.
- Place in oven and bake until bubbly.
Do I need to use a pizza stone?
My favorite pizza stone gets a lot of use here and it helps make a delicious, crispy crust. It has a high heat on the bottom and the top, and it can help it bake faster as well. However, it isn’t really necessary. You can easily bake this flatbread pizza on a cookie sheet or a regular pizza pan.
You will want to heat the cookie sheet in the oven while the oven is preheating to help mimic the effects of the pizza stone in the oven.
What if I can’t find fresh mozzarella cheese?
While this is found in many grocery stores easily, it may still be hard to find in some areas. If you can’t find it in the deli or ethnic section of your store, feel free to use 1 cup of shredded mozzarella in place of it.
I want a “real” pizza, with a real pizza dough!
No problem! Simply follow the directions here to make your own homemade pizza dough and finish with the remaining directions.
Bake your flatbread until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil +3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 Roma tomatoes, dice small
- 1 bunch fresh basil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup ranch dressing, for drizzle (optional)
- Diced tomatoes, and julienne 1/4 of the basil. Set basil aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together and add melted butter, most of the water water, mix and add water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
- Knead for a few minutes.Let rest in greased bowl for 30 minutes.
- Roll out into rectangle on parchment paper and pierce all over with fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 minutes.
- Brush the remaining olive oil over the bottom of the crust.
- Add diced tomatoes on top. Layer with whole basil leaves and sliced mozzarella.
- Place in oven and bake 10- 15 minutes, until bubbly.
- Top with julienned basil and drizzle dressing over top, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
American Bakeware Large Baking Sheet - Non Stick Ceramic Stoneware - Heat Resistant to 400 °F - No Metal, Lead, or other Harmful Materials - Safe for Ovens, Microwaves, Dishwasher, Made in the USA
Beyond Gourmet 42 Unbleached Non-Stick Parchment Paper, Made in Sweden, 71-Square-Feet
Fresh Mozzarella (BelGioioso) 2 x 16oz (453g) 2 PK
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 761Total Fat 51gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 36gCholesterol 52mgSodium 1733mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 18g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!