Oaty, chocolatey goodness comes together in an easy to make bar. These oatmeal chocolate chip bars are the perfect combination of flavors!
Need an on the go snack that is easy to make, and will be sure to please the whole family? I have just the recipe for you!
Oatmeal chocolate chip bars are a perfect energy bar, too. The hearty oatmeal, with the sweet of chocolate in a thick and chewy bar can help stave off hunger for hours. They are easy to pack up in little ziplock bags for food prep, and take on the go. They are shelf stable for up to 7 days, or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Why you’ll love these chocolate oatmeal bars
- Kids love them – One of the best reasons you’ll love these bars is because kids love them. Anytime I can make something and the kids love it, it’s a win-win for the whole family.
- Easy to make – No one has time to make anything hard. Make these chocolate chip bars because they’re easy!
- Food Storage Friendly – These ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
Ingredients You Need:
- Rolled oats
- All Purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Semisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Prepare your baking pan and preheat oven.
- Add oats, flour, baking soda, and salt to a food processor and pulse.
- Melt the butter in a bowl and add in all of the wet ingredients – then add in the remaining oat mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake until golden brown, then allow to cool before cutting.
Do I have to use two different chocolate chips?
Of course not! You can use all mini chocolate chips, or all the regular size if you’d like. I also like to swap out some of the chocolate chips for these peanut butter chips. These chocolate chip cookie bars are versatile! Add some chopped pecans, or even chopped peanuts for another level of flavor, too!
What do I serve with this recipe?
Can I freeze these?
Absolutely! Simply wrap the chocolate chip oatmeal bars up in either ziplock baggies, or in freezer safe paper and freeze for up to 3 months. To enjoy, allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Or just enjoy frozen, too.
Other dessert bar recipes you’ll love:
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups, all-purpose flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (1.5 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (can also use milk chocolate)
- Spray the inside of the 11*13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Place in parchment paper (cut the corners on a diagonal so it lays flat)
- Lightly spray with nonstick and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oats, flour, baking soda, and salt to a food processor and pulse until oats are finely chopped, (or omit this step if you like the texture of the oats as is.)
- In a large bowl, melt the butter.
- Add in brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add in the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the pan, spread it out to the ends, it will look like there is not enough batter to cover the
bottom of the dish, just make it as even as possible.
- Bake for 18-20 mins or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let for at least 30 mins prior to removing the parchment paper from the pan and slicing the bars.
- Bars can be stored for up to 7 days in an airtight container, they could also be frozen.