Blend the sweet, creaminess of bananas and chocolate chips together and you have an amazing muffin that is perfect for breakfast, snacks, or anytime!
Who loves bananas? This girl! As a matter of fact, in my city, I have the ability to get 40 pounds of bananas for $8. So, we stock up often on them.
Bananas are high in potassium, are easy to store, and are useful in so many things. They go well in smoothies, on top of yogurt, and in so many baked goods.
How do I store bananas?
Bananas come in bunches, otherwise known as a “hand” of bananas. Each individual banana is also called a “finger”. The bananas grow on the tree, upside down, with the part that gathers the fingers together at the bottom. Bananas are shipped to the grocery store very green, and will continue to ripen to a bright yellow, then deep yellow, then start turning brown.
To store bananas, they simply can be placed on the counter, or on a banana hanger if you wish. For best results in making them last longer, try wrapping the end of the banana with plastic wrap or simply separating the fingers individually to keep them from going brown longer.
Aren’t brown bananas rotten?
Actually the more green the banana, the lower the sugar content. The yellow to brown color indicates how much of the banana’s starch has been converted to sugar.
A greener banana will be less sweet, but the more brown the banana, the sweeter. Also, brown bananas are perfect for baking. If you can’t get to a banana and it’s browning, you can store it in the freezer by simply placing it in a freezer bag. To use for baking, allow it to thaw on the counter for an hour, or in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
Perfect brown bananas, sweet and easy to mash up, are what you need for these delicious banana chocolate chip muffins.
Ingredients you need:
- Ripe bananas
- Vanilla extract
- Butter, or coconut oil
- All purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Chocolate chips
Making your banana chocolate chip muffins:
- Preheat oven and line muffin pans with papers. Melt butter or coconut oil and allow to cool.
- Mix together bananas, vanilla, eggs, and butter until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon together. Combine with wet ingredients until just blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips, and fill into paper liners.
- Bake, then allow to cool completely.
How do I store these banana chocolate chip muffins?
These muffins will do great in a ziplock or other airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. For longer storage, I would suggest completely cooling them, then placing in a freezer bag and freezing them.
Allow the muffins to thaw at room temperature for a few minutes before eating, or enjoy frozen, too.
What to serve with homemade banana muffins
Other Recipes To Try
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Who doesn’t have time for chocolate, right? These chocolate chip muffins make an easy breakfast, snack, or treat any time of day!
Orange Cranberry Muffins
Tangy sweet cranberries combined with the brightness of orange juice make these orange cranberry muffins the perfect breakfast or snack on the go!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
When you are in the mood for something light, and just a bit sweet, these gluten free apple cinnamon muffins are sure to please.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 6 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil, melted and measured as liquid
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with papers and set aside.
- Melt butter or coconut oil over low heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas, then stir in vanilla, eggs, and melted butter. Mix until smooth.
- Using a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with 1/4 cup batter, and bake in oven for 18-22 minutes.
- Tip muffins to allow steam to escape, and cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Trader Joes Organic Brown Sugar,NET WT. 24 oz
USA Pan (1200MF) Bakeware Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 12 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Kirkland Signature Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 4.5 Pounds
Frontier Co-op Ceylon Cinnamon, Organic Fair Trade Certified, Ground, 1 Pound Bulk Bag
Trader Joe's Baking Powder Aluminum Free & Double Acting 8.1 Oz (Pack of 2)
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Hodgson Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour, Unbleached, 2 LB (Pack of 6). Unbromated & Unenriched Naturally White Wheat Flour (Packaging May Vary)
Carrington Farms Gluten Free, Unrefined, Cold Pressed, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, 54 oz. (Ounce), Coconut Oil For Skin & Hair Care, Cooking, Baking, Smoothies – Packaging May Vary
McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract, Gluten-Free Vanilla
Nutrition InformationYield 30 Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 71mgSodium 327mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 20gProtein 5g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!
Join the Conversation