So easy to make, with only 5 basic ingredients that are found in nearly every pantry on a daily basis. You’ll love this easy flatbread and all the ways you can use it!
Whether you call this flatbread, or Navajo flatbread, the results are the same. Warm, chewy, bread that is perfect for dipping in soups, curries, or just snacking on. It also makes a terrific pizza dough.
I love to bake bread. My family can polish off a loaf in less time than it takes me to knead a batch. This means that I have to have yeast on hand. But, if I run out of yeast, then what? This cooked flatbread is a great replacement for homemade loaf type bread.
Ingredients you will need
- Warm water
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
How to make your flatbread
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add water a bit at a time.
- Knead for 5 minutes, then rest for 30 minutes under a towel.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll into desired thickness.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat, and place dough in dry skillet or frying pan one piece at a time.
- Cook on one side, flip and cook through on the other side.
- Keep warm under towel until ready to serve.
Is this a fry bread recipe?
If you follow this as is, it’s not. However, if you want to make it into a Navajo fried bread, simply heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet, and fry the bread on each side in the oil.
Is this unleavened bread?
That depends on who you ask. For the Orthodox Jews, since it contains baking powder, they would say no. However, for us, we would eat this as unleavened flatbread during the Passover season. If you are concerned about that, you can leave the baking powder out.
The flatbread won’t be as “fluffy”, but will still be good.
Can I make this vegan?
Sure! Simply swap the butter for either vegan butter, or olive oil. This will make the perfect vegan flatbread that is soft and chewy.
How to store flatbread
While this is absolutely the best when eaten right after making, you can store this in the fridge in an airtight container up to 3 days. Warm up by placing in a warm skillet for one minute.
You can also make a larger batch, and freeze the flatbread in a ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
Other bread recipes you’ll love
- 2 cups flour
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Mix dry ingredients together and add melted butter, most of the water water, mix and add water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
- Knead for a few minutes.Let rest in greased bowl for 30
- Divide into 6 pieces and roll out on floured surface thin. (Tortilla thickness)
- Hear griddle to medium high heat.
- Cook until golden brown spots and flip, cooking until done.They can be made ahead and kept under a flour towel or frozen for later use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned with Silicone Hot Handle Holder , 10.25 Inch Dia
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Sodium Bicarbonate, Baking Soda, by Pure Organic Ingredients, 2 lb, Highest Purity, Food Grade, Eco-Friendly Packaging
King Arthur Flour - Unbleached Bread Flour, 80 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 169Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 1000mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 4g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!