The brightness of rosemary and the sourness of lemon are a culinary match made in heaven. Lemon and rosemary are the perfect combination in a light and flaky scone recipe.
We love late Sunday brunches in our home. Lazy days, where sipping on steamy mugs of coffee, while having great conversations is the most relaxing time for me. Enjoying a full brunch, complete with eggs, scones, fruit and more is often on the menu as well.
Having new and exciting flavors in our scones is a must to keep things intriguing, too. One morning, I got to watering my rosemary plant and thought, “this would be awesome to use in a scone.” What flavor would balance it out, though? It had to be citrusy and able to take on rosemary’s deep flavor. What did I normally pair rosemary with? Lemon, of course.
Rosemary lemon scones soon became a family favorite.
I love light and flaky scones, and these did not disappoint. Bright lemon flavor, paired with the deep scent of rosemary is a sure fire winner! The Frenchman actually had a second one, and he never has seconds. Well, not normally, anyway.
Ingredients you will need for these scones:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
How to make rosemary lemon scones:
- Preheat oven.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter to dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, sour cream, juice, and rosemary in a separate bowl.
- Blend wet ingredients into dry.
- Shape into an 8-9 inch circle on baking stone, or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut into 6 triangles. Bake.
- Separate the triangles, and return to the oven to finish baking.
- Combine lemon juice, powdered sugar, and heavy cream to make the drizzle. Drizzle over warm scones.
Do I need to add the drizzle?
Well, no. They are delicious enough without the added sugar drizzle. I like a light, pretty drizzle over the top, personally. Of course, if you have teenagers at home, they may prefer the “smear it all on, Mom” type of frosted scone.
They aren’t really wrong on this.
What is your favorite scone recipe? Will you try these rosemary lemon scones? Be sure to let me know if you like them!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 5 Tablespoons very cold butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup full fat yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 Tablespoons fresh rosemary (or 1 Tablespoon dried)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add first 5 ingredients. Whisk to combine well.
- Cut in very cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, add in yogurt, egg, 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice and rosemary. Whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry and mix until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured parchment paper and shape into an 8 inch circle.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, and cut the dough into 6 triangles, but do not separate.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Separate the triangles, and return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes until baked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and remaining lemon juice. Whisk to combine thoroughly until smooth.
- Drizzle over warm scones. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for later.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Beyond Gourmet 42 Unbleached Non-Stick Parchment Paper, Made in Sweden, 71-Square-Feet
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO, 10 LB, single unit
Wilton 2105-7946 Ever-Glide Cookie Pan Large, 11x 7 Sheet
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 98mgSodium 494mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 9g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!