Silky smooth and creamy sweet, this homemade caramel sauce is perfect over apple pie, ice cream, or stirred into hot chocolate!
I have to admit that making caramel sauce for the first time was scary for me. I thought, “there are so many ways to mess this up that I shouldn’t even try.” Then, I learned to do something every day that scares you. Every day, try something new and just do it scared, if you have to. While caramel sauce isn’t something to really fret over, the fact remains that doing something every day that scares you just a bit is a good thing.
We had a habit of buying caramel sauce at the store for ice cream, pies, and desserts. I knew I could make it better, but for some reason, I was still scared. One day, I took out some brown sugar, some butter and some cream and decided that I was going to make it, no matter what happened.
My first attempt was NOT good. At. All. The caramel sauce seized up like nobody’s business, and I actually got burned. Not fun. After a bit of aloe vera and some tears of frustration, I tried again. The result was a creamy, silky smooth homemade caramel sauce that is out of this world good!Silky smooth and creamy sweet, this homemade caramel sauce is perfect over apple pie, ice cream, or stirred into hot chocolate! #caramel #homemade #desserts #sweet
Tips for making your caramel sauce:
- the sauce MAY seize up on you when you pour your cream in. Do not panic, just keep stirring. That was my mistake. If I had kept on stirring gently, it would have all worked out.
- Have all your ingredients measured out and ready to go BEFORE you begin. This will help keep it from burning when you can stay right where you are start to finish.
- boiling hot butter and sugar HURTS when it splashes on you, so be very careful!
Do you need vanilla extract?
To be honest, I have never used it in my recipe, and I still get a great recipe.
Ingredients you will need for this caramel sauce recipe:
- Brown sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
How to make your homemade caramel:
- Melt brown sugar over medium low heat.
- Add butter and stir.
- Pour heavy cream in, a little at a time, continually stirring.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
Other Desserts To Try
Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies
Easy to make, and so delicious to share, these no bake cookies are ready to go in less than 20 minutes! Great for parties, gatherings, or as a hostess gift!
Ginger Chocolate Cupcakes
There’s something magical that happens when you combine ginger and chocolate. The flavors of these ginger chocolate cupcakes create a symphony on your tongue that is astounding.
Easy Classic Lemon Bars
Tangy and sweet lemon bars with a shortbread crust are the perfect way to take your dessert from good to GREAT.
Ways to use your easy caramel sauce:
Want to make it a salted caramel sauce?
Simply add 1 teaspoon sea salt before cooling.
Homemade Caramel Sauce (quick and easy)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a medium sized pot set on low heat, add brown sugar and stir to melt.
- Add butter and stir to melt together and combine.
- Pour in heavy cream in a slow drizzle while whisking constantly. The mixture may seize up on you a bit, but continue to stir.
- Stir until all lumps of sugar have redissolved and allow to thicken.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring only occasionally until caramel coats the back of a spoon.
- Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ball Mason 4oz Quilted Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands, Set of 12
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
All American Collection 16 Quart Stainless Steel Low Pot with Thick Capsule, Silicone Handles and Knobs
Trader Joes Organic Brown Sugar,NET WT. 24 oz
Join the Conversation