Quick, easy, and only 5 basic ingredients, homemade flour tortillas can form the base for many delicious meals!
Who loves a good Mexican cuisine based meal? This girl! Savory meats, the spicy sauces, and the fresh zest of cilantro and lime form the ingredients for many tasty dishes.
What else do those dishes generally have in common? Tortillas.
You can easily pick up store bought tortillas, and I won’t judge you at all. However, there is nothing quite like a fresh, homemade tortilla, right off a hot cast iron skillet. Soft warm, and chewy hits the spot every time.
How easy is this recipe?
Super easy and fast. It’s about 20 minutes, start to finish, and only takes 5 ingredients to make. Simply mix the dough in a bowl, dump onto a floured surface and knead. Roll it out with a rolling pin, cook in a hot skillet, place on a plate and cover with a paper towel or kitchen towel to keep warm.
What should I use to cook tortillas?
I prefer to use my cast iron skillet for making tortillas, but you can use a tortilla press if you want.
A regular non stick pan will also work, but you may want to wipe it out after every other tortilla. This will remove any excess flour you have on the dough circles, and keep it from burning in the pan.
Ingredients for homemade tortillas
- All purpose flour
- Warm water
- Butter or olive oil
- Baking powder
How to make flour tortillas
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in melted butter or oil and combine well.
- Gradually add flour and mix until you get a thick dough. Form into dough ball, and allow to rest.
- Divide the dough into pieces, and roll each dough ball into circles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cook in a dry skillet, flip and finish cooking other side.
- Keep warm until serving.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Sure! You can replace the melted butter with olive or vegetable oil of your choosing.
How to I store my homemade tortillas?
They will keep nice and soft for up to 2 days on the counter, if you wrap them in a kitchen towel. I don’t like to store them in the fridge, as they can get very hard and stale quickly.
To reheat them, either warm them in a hot dry skillet for 30 seconds, or place in the microwave with damp paper towels covering them to keep moisture in.
What to serve with these homemade tortillas
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Soft, chewy, pliable homemade tortillas in just a few minutes with only 5 ingredients! You are gonna love these!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter, or oil
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the oil, and combine.
- Add in the water, slowly. You may not need all of it, depending on the humidity levels in your home. You want a thick, sticky type of dough.
- Combine well, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6-8 pieces, and roll each piece into a ball.
- Cover dough balls with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Do not add oil or butter to the skillet.
- Roll each dough ball into an 8-9 inch circle, getting them as thin as possible. Flour the rolling pin if necessary.
- Place each dough circle one at a time, in the hot dry skillet. Allow to cook for 30 seconds. Dough will bubble up and may puff up completely.
- Flip over, and cook on the other side for 30 additional seconds. Remove to a plate, covered with a towel to keep warm or to a tortilla holder.
- Keep warm until serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Uno Casa Cast Iron Tortilla Press - 8 Inch, Pre-Seasoned Tortilla Maker with 100 Pcs Parchment Paper
Nordic Ware Microwave Tortilla Warmer, 10-Inch
Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25", Black
Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L (2QT 3.6 fl. oz)
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Trader Joe's Baking Powder Aluminum Free & Double Acting 8.1 Oz (Pack of 2)
King Arthur Flour - Unbleached Bread Flour, 80 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 tortilla
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 15mgSodium 337mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 3g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!
Join the Conversation