Creamy meets spicy in this easy one pot cajun chicken pasta dinner! On the table ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!
Simple meals with wholesome ingredients and easy cleanup is my mantra. When I can make it and the family loves it, well, that’s a huge win in my kitchen!
This one pot cajun chicken pasta fits all the criteria. It’s chicken with a bit of cajun spice, and all the one pot pasta ease of cooking and clean up. What more could you ask for?
What is a one pot pasta dish?
It’s just like it sounds. It’s a pasta dish, complete with sauce, made in the same pot. The pasta is infused with flavor as it cooks in the sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cooks, making it nearly hands off cooking.
Ingredients you need
- Chicken breast or thighs
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Penne pasta
- Chicken broth
- Canned tomatoes
How to make one pot pasta
- Brown chicken, cook to medium done, then remove to plate.
- Saute onions and seasonings for 3 minutes.
- Add butter to vegetables and stir in flour.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, milk, pasta, and chicken. Simmer until done.
Can I make this gluten free?
Yes! Simply swap the regular penne with your favorite brown rice pasta. (I like this from Tinkyada)
Instead of making a roux with butter and flour, swap the milk, butter, and flour out with 3 cups heavy cream. You will want to stir the dish as it’s cooking, but only just to keep it from burning on the bottom. Heavy cream will thicken as it cooks, but over stirring it will cause it to break down and not be as thick.
Tips for the best one pot meals
- Make sure to bring to a boil any liquids before adding pasta to keep it from clumping.
- Spend a few minutes stirring it completely when you first add the pasta, and continue to stir frequently to keep the sauce from burning.
- Use a larger pot than you think you need. Always. The sauce can boil over quickly, making a huge mess otherwise.
What to serve with this dish
Other easy meals to try
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs, boneless
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 15 ounce canned tomatoes with liquid
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. In an 8 quart pot, add oil and heat over medium high heat. Add chicken to hot oil and cook until medium done.
- Remove chicken to a plate, set aside.
- In same pot, stir in onions and add seasonings. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Melt butter over onions and stir in flour to form roux base.
- Add in canned tomatoes with liquid, broth, and milk and stir.
- Add in diced chicken, stir and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium, and simmer for 10-12 minutes until pasta is done and chicken is cooked through, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Serve hot.
Allow pasta dish to sit for 10 minutes off the heat once finished. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools a bit.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Carmelina San Marzano Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree, 28 ounce (Pack of 6)
Hodgson Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour, Unbleached, 2 LB (Pack of 6). Unbromated & Unenriched Naturally White Wheat Flour (Packaging May Vary)
365 Everyday Value, Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth, 48 fl oz
McCormick Pepper, Cayenne Ground, 14 OZ
Badia Smoked Paprika 16 oz (1)
Simply Organic Pepper, Black Medium Grind Certified Organic, 2.31 Ounce Container
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
McCormick Fine Garlic Powder, 21 oz
Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 1 L
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 125mgSodium 1269mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 35g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!