The tang of fresh lemons, and a sweet, buttery shortbread crust combine to make a delicious dessert. You will love these easy classic lemon shortbread bars.
Any time of year can be the right time for some tangy sweet lemon squares. Of all the lemon bar recipes I have encountered, the best ones in my opinion are the classic ones.
My daughter loved learning to bake, and this was one of the first recipes she learned to master. A classic butter shortbread crust, filled with a tart lemon filling, and topped with powdered sugar. What could possibly be wrong with it?
Ingredients you need:
- All purpose flour
- Confectioners sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
Making your lemon bars
- Preheat oven and prepare baking pan.
- Mix together dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- But in butter until you get a crumbly texture
- Put dough into the prepared dish and press it into the pan until it is evenly flat and compacted, the bake.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Pour filling over the warm crust and bake until set. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.
Tips for best flavor
After you prepare these lemon bars, they taste much better if left in the fridge overnight. This will allow the flavors to meld together nicely, and they are much easier to cut when well chilled.
However, if you have family that loves dessert, you can also stick them in the freezer for an hour or two before serving, if you need them in a hurry.
Other lemon recipes you may like:
- Lemon Lime Cupcakes
- Lavender Lemon French Macarons
- Strawberry Lemonade Macarons
- Rosemary Lemon Scones
- Lemon Glazed Donuts
What is your favorite dessert for large gatherings? Be sure to let me know if you try and love these lemon bars!
Easy Classic Lemon Bars
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 stick of butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- powdered sugar for dusting on top
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter an 8x8 glass baking pan.
- Mix together in a medium bowl flour, confectioners sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Add cold butter and cut into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Put dough into the prepared dish and press it into the pan until it is evenly flat and compacted.
- Bake dough for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and yolk. Add in lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix until well combined.
- Pour filling over the warm crust and bake until set, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santa Cruz 100% Organic Pure Lemon Juice, Not From Concentrate, 32 oz | Pack of 1
Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 16 oz (454 g) - 2pcs
Hodgson Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour, Unbleached, 2 LB (Pack of 6). Unbromated & Unenriched Naturally White Wheat Flour (Packaging May Vary)
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO, 10 LB, single unit
Pyrex Basics 8.1" Square (2 quart)
Join the Conversation