The tartness of lime juice, blended with the sweet of sugar and creamy of eggs and butter come together in a sweet dessert. You will love how easy this lime curd recipe is to make.
I love how quickly this dessert goes together. It can be made in the afternoon, just a couple of hours before you may need it. Lime curd is slightly tangy, sweet, and creamy.
Curd recipes are a great way to enjoy all the flavors of citrus. You can swap out the lime juice and make lemon curd, grapefruit curd, orange curd, or any combination of them. The sky can be the limit here on this.
What is lime curd?
Made with eggs, sugar, and butter, it’s a pudding like dessert. It’s generally cooked over medium to medium low heat, until thick.
Do I have to use only egg yolks in this recipe?
While many curd recipes call for using only the yolk of eggs, I prefer to use the whole egg. When using just the whole egg, the mixture will be less bright in color versus using just the yolks.The tartness of lime juice, blended with the sweet of sugar and creamy of eggs and butter come together in a sweet dessert. You will love how easy this lime curd recipe is to make.#curd #limecurd #dessert #limedessert
Ways to use lime curd
- Served by itself, as a stand alone dessert
- Use as a cupcake filling
- Spread in a prebaked pie crust for a lime curd pie
- Use as filling in macarons
- Bottled or fresh lime juice
How to make this easy lime curd:
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, and juice until well blended.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter.
- Cool to room temperature and chill before serving.
How to store this lime dessert
The flavor is best when it is stored in the fridge in an airtight container. I like to use a bit of plastic wrap that is wrapped tightly over the container, and stretched over just the top of the curd. This helps to keep the air out, preventing the sugar from crystallizing.
Are you ready to try this delicious lime curd? Be sure to pin this for later, too!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup bottled lime juice
- 4 Tablespoons butter, diced into cubes
- In a small saucepan, whisk together eggs, erythritol and lime juice until smooth.
- Set over low heat, stirring constantly to allow mixture to thicken.
- After 3-4 minutes, curd will start to thicken and is done when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Turn off heat, and add butter, stirring until smooth.
- Pour into serving cups and chill for 2 hours before serving.
Serving Size1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 356Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 170mgSodium 146mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 0gSugar 51gProtein 5g