You will love this light, fluffy and sweet skillet cornbread. Slather it with our maple butter for a delicious side dish or even by itself with a cup of tea!
As an affiliate of Azure standard, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See why I love Azure Standard by reading the post here.
My southern born and bred hubby loves all things cornbread. If there is a chili or soup to be had, there had better be cornbread with it. If there is butter around, there should be cornbread for him to slather said butter with.
What I like about this skillet white cornbread is that it is nice and sweet. Of course, true Southern cornbread is more on the salty side, but I am a Northern girl at heart. Fortunately, hubby likes it more sweet anyway. Works for me. Super easy white cornbread, made in a cast iron skillet is the epitome of down home cooking.
How long will cornmeal last in storage?
Cornmeal will last 1-3 months in it’s original packaging in your pantry. However, you can make the shelf life longer by either storing it in the freezer, or in an air tight container, such as a bucket with a gamma lid for up to 1 year. Of course, there are many who say their cornmeal has lasted longer than that in storage, but I generally don’t buy more than I can use in that time.
Do I have to make this skillet cornbread in a cast iron skillet?
Honestly, no. You can make this in a regular pyrex baking pan if you want. You will need to adjust the time and temperature a bit for baking. I would suggest turning the oven down 5 degrees, and checking for done-ness 10 minutes earlier.
If you want the same round shape, you could also “cheat” and use an 8 inch round cake pan. You’ll get the same shape and “feel” without the cast iron pan. Alternatively, you can make corn muffins by baking the batter in a muffin tin.
Other Cornbread Recipes To Try
What is the difference between white cornbread and yellow cornbread?
The cornmeal. There really isn’t much difference in the corn used, except the naturally occurring pigments that make it either yellow or white. Some think that the yellow corn tastes sweeter, but that is usually not the case. Both are equal in flavor.
You can swap the white cornmeal for yellow in this recipe, or you can use this one for an entirely new Southern cornbread side dish.You will love this light, fluffy and sweet skillet cornbread. Slather it with our maple butter for a delicious side dish or even by itself with a cup of tea! #cornbread #whitecorn #easyrecipes #sidedishes
Ingredients You Need:
- White cornmeal
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Coconut oil, measured in liquid form
Making Your Easy Homemade Cornbread
- Preheat oven and skillet for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in skillet while it’s heating.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add the hot butter from the skillet.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined.
- Carefully pour the batter into hot skillet, and bake.
- Cornbread recipe is done with toothpick inserted comes out clean.
What to serve with this:
- Whipped Maple Butter
- Easy Crockpot Chili with Ground Beef
- Barbacoa Chili
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Black Beans
White Skillet Cornbread
- 2 Tablespoons Butter to grease the skillet
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, measured in liquid form
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8-inch cast iron skillet with butter; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the white cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and coconut oil. Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased cast iron skillet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cornbread.
- Serve the cornbread warm with the homemade whipped maple butter, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25", Black
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Trader Joe's Baking Powder Aluminum Free & Double Acting 8.1 Oz (Pack of 2)
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO, 10 LB, single unit
Carrington Farms Gluten Free, Unrefined, Cold Pressed, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, 54 oz. (Ounce), Coconut Oil For Skin & Hair Care, Cooking, Baking, Smoothies – Packaging May Vary
Homestead Gristmill — Organic, Non-GMO, Stone-ground White Cornmeal (2 Pack)
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 194Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 22mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 3g
While I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, please be your own best advocate and double check.
Join the Conversation