Creamy black beans combine with the sweetness of kernel corn for a delicious and easy lunch, snack, or party appetizer. You’ll love these black bean and sweet corn taquitos!
The humble black bean. It truly is one of my favorite, most versatile foods, really. It can go from sweet to savory with equal ease. Black beans are easy to make in the Instant pot, and are great to have on hand for just about any side dish or soup you can think of!
When you need a quick lunch, or even party appetizer that everyone will love, grab some black beans, corn, and tortillas! Let’s make some delicious and easy taquitos.
What’s the difference between flautas and taquitos?
For most of the country, flautas are rolled tortillas, and commonly larger than taquitos. Taquitos are more commonly rolled tighter, more narrow, and are made with corn tortillas.
However, they both can contain vegan, vegetarian or omnivore ingredients. The terms can be seen used interchangeably, especially in Southwestern parts of the country, such as Texas.
What size tortillas do I need with these?
I used regular, homemade tortillas that are about the size of the taco/fajita tortillas you would get at the grocery store. If you want to use store bought, I would suggest getting the 8 inch taco sized ones.
Of course, if you want the larger 10 inch burrito sized tortillas, I sure wouldn’t stop you. You will want to add double the filling for each one. The baking time will not change.
Ingredients you need:
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Flour tortillas
- Avocado oil
Making your black bean and sweet corn taquitos
- Preheat oven, and carefully cut 1/2 inch off each side of the tortilla. Set aside.
- Heat avocado oil and sautee onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add seasonings, black beans, and corn and heat through. Add cheese and stir in well.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon filling on the edge of one tortilla. Tuck and roll tightly.
- Dip a clean finger in water, and gently rub at the top of the tortilla and finish rolling to create seal. Secure with a toothpick.
- Bake until golden brown.
Why do I need to cut the edges off the tortilla?
Cutting the edges does a couple of things. This allows clean edges for the tortilla, and it helps keep the filling inside where it belongs. It helps it stay inside because the tortilla won’t tend to “puff” up as much with the edges removed.
However, it is NOT really required to cut the edges off. Just note that you will want to definitely secure the taquitos with toothpicks as they are baking.
Do I need to use canned or frozen kernel corn?
Use whichever you’d like. If you are choosing to use canned, you will want to drain the corn then measure without liquid. If you are using frozen kernel corn, you will want to thaw it a bit before adding to the pan to keep it from adding too much water to the recipe.
What to serve with these taquitos:
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 medium onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F. Prepare baking pan by lining with parchment paper.
- Cut 1/2 inch off each edge of your tortilla and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of avocado oil and heat. Sautee onions and garlic for 3 minutes. Add beans, corn and seasonings and stir. Heat through.
- Add in cheese, and stir in to melt.
- Placing your tortillas in a pile on the counter, slice off about 1/2 inch from one side Add 1 Tablespoon of veggie filling to the center of the of the tortilla, in a line. Roll the tortilla all the way around, and place seem side up, onto the wire rack/baking sheet. Secure with a toothpick.
- Once all the taquitos are rolled up on the wire rack, brush avocado oil over them, and then place into the oven. Bake until tortillas are browning and crispy. Remove when finished and allow a few minutes to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Old El Paso Flour Tortillas, Soft Tacos and Fajitas, 10 Count (Pack of 12)
Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 1 L
Simply Organic, Cumin, 2.31 oz
Simply Organic Pepper, Black Medium Grind Certified Organic, 2.31 Ounce Container
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Kirkland Minced California Garlic, 48-Ounce Super Easy Guacamole Edit or replace
Kirkland Golden Sweet Corn-15.25 oz, 12 ct
Iberia Black Beans, Dry Beans 4 lbs, Bulk Dry Black Beans Bag, Fiber & Protein Source, Farm Fresh# 1 Grade Black Beans
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 2 taquitos
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 3mgSodium 226mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 4g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!