The sweetness of cherries brings a new level of flavor in these chocolate cherry brownies. Cherry and chocolate are a match made in heaven!
Chocolate and cherries. They were simply made for each other, right? And, you know you need another easy homemade brownies recipe for your box.
Baking brownies from scratch is simple, and usually only needs a few ingredients. Some flour, eggs, sugar, chocolate, and you are good to go. I mean, who doesn’t love brownies?
This brownie recipe is stuffed full of sweet, juicy, chewy cherries to add a whole new level of flavor. Topped with melted chocolate chips for a sumptuous dessert that the whole family will love.
Ingredients you need
- Brown sugar
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
Making your chocolate cherry brownies
- Preheat oven and prepare 9×13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in small pot, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Stir in cooled butter.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cherries and pour into pan.
- Bake, remove from oven and spread chocolate chips over hot brownies, then allow to cool completely before cutting.
Why brown sugar?
You could use regular granulated sugar if you want. I find that brown sugar adds not only a bit more flavor, but it also adds some moisture. For the ultimate fudgy brownie, brown sugar is a must.
What kind of cherries do I need?
I use fresh sweet Ranier cherries in this recipe. I have also used more tart fresh cherries with equal success. As far as fresh versus frozen cherries, that is also up to you.
If you choose to use fresh cherries, make sure to pit them first. Then measure the whole cherries, then chop for the recipe. You can use this pitter, or simply use a straw to push the pits out of the cherries.
If you use frozen cherries, you will want to thaw them out, and drain any excess water before chopping them. Otherwise, your brownies may not “set” until they are overbaked.
Other brownies recipes you will want to try
- Peanut butter banana brownies
- No flour needed brownies
- Pumpkin brownies
- Brownie bites with white chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, butter, or coconut oil and set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt butter, and set aside to cool.
- Using a medium sized mixing bowl, stir in brown sugar, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Add in melted butter, and mix until smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 chocolate chips and chopped cherries, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Remove from oven, and while still hot, spread remaining chocolate chips over the top and carefully spread melted chips with a knife.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pampered Chef Family Heritage Stoneware Rectangular Baker, 1430
Kirkland Signature Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 4.5 Pounds
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 26 ounce pouch (1 Pack)
Hodgson Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour, Unbleached, 2 LB (Pack of 6). Unbromated & Unenriched Naturally White Wheat Flour (Packaging May Vary)
McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract, Gluten-Free Vanilla
Trader Joes Organic Brown Sugar,NET WT. 24 oz
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 68mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 21gProtein 2g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!