Need a dairy free milk beverage that you can make in just a few minutes? 2 ingredients, and a blender and you can have homemade almond milk, perfect for cooking or drinking!
Whether you dealing with lactose intolerance, want to stay away from diary, or you just want a dairy free milk from time to time, this great almond milk recipe couldn’t be easier.
Learning how to make almond milk at home was one of the first kitchen DIY’s I did. I ran out of my father in law’s rice milk one day when they were visiting, and needed a good substitute. I really think this is is much better than store bought almond milk, hands down.
Do I need to soak the almonds overnight?
Almonds can be hard to digest, unless they are soaked. However, I don’t always remember, and just use plain raw almonds that haven’t been soaked overnight first.
If you find that you get an upset tummy of sorts after drinking this, try soaking the almonds in a ratio of 1:2 with water over night before making this recipe.
The basic ratios of almonds and water for almond milk:
- for a skim milk-1 cup of almonds to 3 cups of water
- for a “2%” milk-2 cups of almonds to 3 cups water
- for a whole milk-3 cups of almonds to 3 cups of water
Ingredients you need:
- Raw, unsalted Almonds
Making your homemade almond milk
- To make your milk, add almonds and water in your chosen ratios to a high speed blender. You can also use a food processor, but the time needed to process will be a bit longer.
- Blend the nuts and water. You will start to see the water turn “milky” and the nuts will be processed up.
- Strain the milk into a glass with cheese cloth or a nut milk bag. Squeeze gently to get all the liquid out.
- Store strained almond milk in the fridge, use within 3 days.
Can I add sweetener to this?
I prefer plain almond milk for cooking, but if you want it for drinking, you may want to sweeten it first. Some ideas to try:
- Brown rice syrup
- Agave nectar
- Maple syrup
You can also add vanilla extract for a vanilla flavor. Just make sure to give it a good shake before drinking to mix it up well.
What can I use this almond milk for?
Plain almond milk is perfect for recipes that call for any plant based milks. Here are a few other ideas to try using this in:
- Blueberry Almond Overnight Oats
- Dalgona Whipped Coffee
- Mint Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Bread
- 3 cups soaked almonds
- 3 cups water
- Blend almonds and water ingredients together in blender until well blended
- Strain through cheesecloth to remove nut meal.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes for drinking.
- Store in fridge for up to 3 days,
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Raw Almond 48oz | Natural | Whole | No PPO | Non-GMO | No Herbicide | Healthy Protein boost | Premium Quality | Try the difference!!
ODA KITCHEN Professional Blender, Countertop Blender for Shakes and Smoothies, 1450w High Powered Blender, 39000RPM High Speed Blunt Blade, 50oz Low Profile Container, Smoothie Maker, White
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 8 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 619Total Fat 54gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 48gCholesterol 0mgSodium 570mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 11gSugar 5gProtein 22g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!