Sweet shortbread filled with jam and are ready to go in less than 30 minutes? You’ll love these shortbread thumbprint cookies.
A rich, buttery shortbread has to be my favorite cookie. It has all the memories of my childhood and baking with my Grandmother. When she started softening the butter, and grabbing the flour, powdered sugar, and a jar of her homemade, sweet jam, it was ON!
This recipe is my way to honor both my mother and grandmother. While my grandmother loved plain shortbread cookies, my mother loved the pecan sandie type cookies. I added rich pecans to the dough to pay tribute to both of them.
Ingredients you need:
- Powdered sugar
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Strawberry jam
- White chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
Making your thumbprint cookies:
- Dice butter into 1/4 inch chunks and keep cool.
- Using a food processor, or knife, finely chop pecans
- In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and chopped pecans.
- Add cold butter and mix just until it comes together in a shaggy dough.
- Turn dough out and form into a ball, pushing it together with parchment paper. Chill for 20 minutes
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough and roll each into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Press an indent into the dough.
- Bake, then allow to cool
- Add jam, filling each indent.
- Melt white chocolate chips and coconut oil together until warm, then stir to combine. Drizzle over cooled, filled cookies.
Do I use unsalted butter or salted butter?
I typically use unsalted butter in this recipe. However, if all you have is salted, that’s fine, too. You will want to leave the added salt out, or the recipe can wind up too salty.
What kind of jam should I use?
I used strawberry jam as it’s my family’s favorite. However, you can use any jam or jelly you would like.
What to serve with these cookies
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and diced into pieces
- 1/3-1/2 cup jam of choice
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice butter into small chunks, and keep cool.
- Using a food processor or sharp knife add pecans and chop until very fine.
- In a stand mixer, add flour, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder and vanilla.
- Add in butter and mix until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough out and form into a ball using parchment paper to push into shape. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into pieces, and roll each into a 1 inch sized ball. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Press an indent into the dough, using the back of a cookie scoop, teaspoon, or your thumb.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven, then allow to cool completely.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of jam, filling each indent.
- Melt white chocolate chips and coconut oil together and stir to combine. Drizzle over filled cookies.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 261Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 28mgSodium 133mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 2g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!