Just a few ingredients, and you have a family breakfast that is perfect for busy weekday mornings, or slow, lazy weekend mornings. You’ll love this breakfast casserole in the crock pot.
Have you ever wanted to make your family breakfast, but you didn’t want to put much effort in it? This slow cooker breakfast casserole is not only delicious, it’s so easy to make! You’ll LOVE how simple this casserole is.
You simply put the ingredients in the slow cooker and then enjoy in a few hours! This slow cooker casserole works well for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The best part is that it is mainly hands off, giving you more time to enjoy your morning!
You can also make this an overnight breakfast casserole. Simply put the ingredients into your crock pot liner, and bake in the morning. Simply add 30 minutes or so to the cooking time to ensure the eggs are set and fully cooked. This is perfect if you need to help feed a crowd at a holiday or other gathering as well.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Easy to make. It’s easy to make this recipe, which makes it a winner!
- Simple ingredients. If you’re going to make a recipe, you want it to be simple. These ingredients are uncomplicated.
- A freezable recipe. This breakfast casserole freezes very well!
- Turkey Sausage (you can also use pork if you prefer)
- Bell pepper
- Hash brown potatoes
- Heavy cream
- Turkey Bacon (you can also use pork if you prefer)
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make This Breakfast Casserole
- Take a skillet and brown the sausage, add onion and bell pepper.
- Place the hash browns in the slow cooker. Add the sausage mixture.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour over egg mixture.
- Cook the casserole until done.
- Add the bacon and green onion on top.
Variations for making this breakfast casserole food storage friendly:
- Use dehydrated onion and green or red peppers.
- Swap out the frozen hash browns for re-hydrated instant hash browns from the pantry.
- Try freeze dried eggs for this easy egg casserole.
Does breakfast casserole freeze well?
Yes! Casseroles are one of the easiest prepared food items that you can freeze. If you bake it before freezing it, it can last for up to two months! Make sure you place the casserole in an airtight container before placing it in the freezer.
If you’re planning a breakfast for your family, this crock pot breakfast casserole is the way to go. Simple, delicious, filling, and sure to be a family favorite. If you do decide to make this recipe, leave a comment below to let us know what you think.
What to serve with this breakfast casserole:
Other Casseroles to Try
- 1 pound bulk turkey sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper as desired
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled turkey bacon
- In a large (12 inch) skillet, brown the sausage, crumbling as it
- When the sausage is almost completely browned, stir in the onion and
bell pepper. Continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through
and the vegetables begin to soften. Drain well.
- Prepare the liner of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In
the bottom of the slow cooker, place half of the shredded hash
browns. Top with half of the sausage mixture and then 1 cup of the
cheese. Repeat the layers, topping with the remaining cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt and black pepper until
well blended. Pour over the casserole in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours.
Check the casserole by inserting a knife in the middle. If the knife
returns with liquid egg, cover and continue cooking until the eggs
are completely set.
- Top the casserole with crumbled bacon, if desired, before serving.