Spicy sweet cinnamon combines with sweet mashed bananas to create a symphony of taste in this homemade banana nut muffin recipe.
Biting into a warm banana nut muffin has to be one of life’s greatest pleasures. From the sweet, mainly overripe bananas, to the spicy cinnamon and the crunch of the walnuts, they have to be my favorite in all muffin baking land.
Of course, if you have some bananas lying around, you will want to use up that delicious banana flavor before they go bad. When bananas get to that black and almost rotten stage, they are perfect for this.
Don’t have overripe bananas? You can help them along! To make your bananas ripen faster, you can stick them in a brown paper bag for 2-3 days with an apple. The gas the apples give off can cause other fruits to ripen faster. In a bigger hurry? Try placing the bananas in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Why Should You Make Banana Nut Muffins?
- Easy to Make: Just a few ingredients and you are ready to go with a delicious treat!
- Freezer Friendly – When you want to make muffins for a later date, these are the muffins to make!
- Food Storage Friendly- you likely already have most of the ingredients, if not all, in your pantry!
Can I freeze these Banana Nut Muffins?
Absolutely! When completely cool, stick them in a large ziplock bag or other air tight freezer container. They will be great for up to 3 months. To enjoy, allow them to come up to room temperature for about 20-30 minutes.
Banana muffins are a great on the go breakfast or snack, anytime!
Ingredients You Need:
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Ripe bananas (or you can use thawed frozen ones)
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- All spice
- Chopped Walnuts
How to make Banana Nut Muffins
- Preheat oven and grease a muffin pan with butter or cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Using a small bowl, coat walnuts and stir into batter.
- Spoon the muffins into the liners.
- Bake, then remove from the heat and allow the muffins to cool slightly
- Serve warm slathered with butter.
- Skip the walnuts – don’t like walnuts? Skip them and try peanuts, chopped cashews, or even leave out the nuts altogether.
- Go dairy free-Use your favorite non dairy butter and milk for a non dairy version. Substitute ener-g eggs as well for a vegan verison.
What to serve with Banana Nut Muffins?
Other Muffin Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-3 large bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups, all purpose flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add bananas and mix into butter/sugar mixture.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. It will be lumpy from the bananas which is fine.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and all spice to the batter. Mix until flour is combined.
- Coat walnuts in a little flour and stir into batter.
- Spoon into prepared liners and bake for 18-20 min or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and let chill on cooling rack.
Join the Conversation