An easy weeknight dinner that is full of delicious flavor, this easy Indian butter chicken is sure to be a family favorite! Serve with flatbread and a salad for an authentic meal.
As an affiliate of Azure standard, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See why I love Azure Standard by reading the post here.
This Indian butter chicken comes together in around 30 minutes. Perfect for a busy weeknight! It’s a creamy dish that combines with delicious aromatics. Get your Indian food craving filled easily.
Do I use chicken breasts or chicken thighs?
You can easily use either piece. I like to use chicken thighs myself, as we like dark meat in my family. However, chicken breasts or even chicken breast tenders will work well.
We have also made this using leftover chicken. The star of this dish is really the sauce.
Is Indian butter chicken spicy?
Not at all. You can also adjust the amount of spice to your liking. With fresh ginger, garam masala, and the cumin, it has loads of flavor. However, if it’s too much bite, try reducing the amount of fresh ginger and garam masala first.
What is garam masala?
Garam Masala is a blend of ground spices that is popular in Indian cuisine. In the Hindi language, it means “hot” or “heat” (garam) and “mixed spices” (masala).
Actually, it’s not referring to heat as in spicy, but in the warming effects of the spices themselves that elevate a body temperature and possibly raise metabolic levels. In Ayurvedic tradition, food should not only taste delicious but also deliver health benefits.
Recipes may vary, but it will typically include most of the following spices: Coriander, cumin, peppercorns, green cardamom, black cardamom, fennel, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, curry leaves and star anise. You can try and make it at home yourself, or you can simply buy it here.
Ingredients you need:
- Avocado oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Tomato sauce
- Coconut milk
- Fresh ginger
- Garam Masala
- White rice for serving
Is Indian butter chicken keto?
For the most part, it can fit into your keto or low carb lifestyle. You will want to watch the amount of sauce you are using, however. To keep it more low carb, serve over cauliflower rice instead of plain white rice.
How to reheat Indian butter chicken:
Store your leftover butter chicken in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place in an oven safe container that will fit in your Instant Pot. Set that on the trivet, and add water to the bottom. Heat on manual in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes, and do a quick pressure release.
You can also reheat on the stove top, in a skillet or pot, stirring frequently to reheat evenly without burning.
How to make this vegetarian friendly:
Simply swap the chicken for 30 ounces of canned, drained chickpeas. You can also make the chickpeas yourself from dried using the how to quick soak beans method.
What to serve with Indian Butter Chicken or Butter Chickpeas
- Green Salad
- Homemade Easy Flatbread
- White or Brown rice in the Instant Pot
Other recipes you’ll want to try:
- Chicken and Black Bean Quesadilla
- Chicken Salad With Grapes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Easy Indian Butter Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, or thighs
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- White rice for serving
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces and set aside. In a large pot on medium high heat, add the oil and heat. Add the chicken and cook until almost done. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Put the tomato sauce, coconut milk, garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika, Garam Malasa, cumin, and salt in the pot and bring to a slow boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken back into pot.
- Turn heat to low, and allow chicken to simmer in the sauce for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add butter cubes and remaining 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala. Stir until well incorporated. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon when you are done.
- Serve warm over rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 668Total Fat 43gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 197mgSodium 902mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 56g
I do my best to make sure these numbers are accurate, however, please be your own best advocate and double check!
Join the Conversation